Vietnamese 'Shaken' Beef Bowl with Hoisin Sauce
- Shaken Beef
- 1 pound beef chuck, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 a small head green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 4 cups steamed white rice
- Hoisin Sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter (or can sub almond butter)
- 2 tablespoons sweet thai chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- water, to thin
- Add the cubed meat to a bowl and toss with the garlic, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss well and let the meat sit at room temperature for 1 hour.In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce and rice vinegar.During this time I like to make the rice, prep the veggies and make the hoisin sauce so it is all ready to go when the beef is done.Once the meat has sat for 1 hour, heat a large heavy bottomed skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Add the remaining olive oil (a little less than 1/3 cup) and heat until just barely smoking. Carefully add the meat and cook undisturbed, over high heat for 1 minute or until browned. Turn the meat and cook for 1 minute longer or until browned.
- Tilt the skillet and drain off all but 1 tablespoon of oil into an old can or jar. Add the bell peppers and saute 1 minute.
- Add the green onions and cook for 30 seconds. Pour in the soy sauce mixture, shaking the skillet to coat the meat.
- Add the butter and shake the pan until the butter is melted. Turn off the heat.Divide the rice among 4 bowls. Add the carrots, cucumbers. cabbage, cilantro and mint. Pour the beef + peppers over the rice. Garnish with chopped peanuts and serve with the Hoisin Sauce.
- To Make the Hoisin SauceCombine the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, sweet thai chili sauce, sesame oil and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine and add water as needed to thin the sauce out. Serve with the bowls.