Matcha Black Sesame Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chunks
- ½ cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 10-ounce bag of marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons culinary-grade matcha powder
- 6 cups brown rice crisps cereal (I use Barbara’s gluten-free brown rice crisps – If you don’t need gluten-free, you can also just use Kellogg’s Rice Krispies)
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt or fleur de sel
- Line a 9 x 13″ dish with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, melt and brown the butter over medium-low heat. After it foams, it will begin to turn golden brown with a nutty aroma. Stir frequently, watching carefully until it just browns. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Lower the heat and add the marshmallows and matcha powder, stirring until all marshmallows are just melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the brown rice crisps cereal and black sesame seeds, and stir to combine.
- Spread evenly in the parchment-lined dish. Sprinkle chopped dark chocolate and salt over top and let rest until the chocolate sets.
- Slice and serve.