Korean Beef and Kimchi Quesadillas
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 extra large flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 1½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup kimchi (cut into bite size pieces), plus more for serving
- 3 green onions (finely chopped)
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, drizzle the sesame oil. Cook the beef and garlic until cooked through. Drain everything with a sieve. Return the beef to the pan. Stir in the brown sugar mixture. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook for 4 – 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- In another large pan over medium-high heat. Add the tortilla to the pan and cook until lightly browned. Using a tong or spatula, turn the tortilla over and cook the other side. On half of the tortilla, add ¼ cup of cheese. Add ¼ cup ground beef, 2 tablespoons green onions, and 1½ tablespoon kimchi. Top with another ¼ cup cheese. Fold the tortilla in half over the ingredients to make a half-moon. Cook until browned on both sides. Transfer to a clean chopping board. Cut the quesadilla into 4 portions. Repeat with the other two quesadillas.
- Serve immediately with extra kimchi.