Tipsy Tuatua (Drunken Clams)
- 12, tua tua, soaked and scrubbed
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced finely, whites and greens separated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, sliced finely
- 50 ml Shao Hsing Chinese rice wine
- 1 tsp mirin
- ⅓ tsp, white pepper, ground
- Remove the tua tua from the soaking water and scrub. Set aside.
- Heat a medium pot with a lid over a medium heat. Add the sesame oil and heat, add the spring onion whites and ginger and fry briefly until fragrant.
- Add the rice wine and mirin to the pot, then add the tua tua. Cover and cook for 5 – 8 minutes. Shaking the pot occasionally. Check to see if the tua tua have opened.
- Remove from heat when they’ve opened and put the tua tua in a bowl. Strain the liquid in the pot over the tua tua and sprinkle with white pepper and the spring onion greens.