Beef Stew with Pearl Onions and Carrots
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2.5 lbs (1.13kg) boneless chuck roast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- ½ lb (225g) pearl onions
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- In a medium sized pot, heat vegetable oil. Add beef and allow it to brown for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add cracked black peppercorns, pearl onions, and dark soy sauce. Give it a good stir.
- Pour in 2½ cups (600ml) water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Add carrots and salt. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes.