Salt and pepper pork chops
- 4 to 5 pork chops (about ½-inch thick), cut into two
- 1 egg white
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- canola or peanut oil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 pieces Jalapenos, stems trimmed and cut thinly
- 2 green onions, stemmed and chopped
- Wash pork chops and drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine egg white and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Whisk well until frothy.
- Add pork chops and marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Remove from fridge. Add cornstarch and toss to fully coat pork chops.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat about 3-inches deep of oil to about 350 F. Add pork chops and deep-fry, turning as needed, for about 5 to 7 minutes or until golden, crisp and cooked through. Do not overcrowd pan. Fry in batches as needed. With a slotted spoon, remove pork chops from pan and drain on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the frying oil.
- In a wide skillet over high heat, add the 2 tablespoons reserved oil and heat until smoking hot. Add jalapenos, green onions, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook, stirring regularly, for about 30 seconds. Add deep-fried pork chops and toss for about 30-40 seconds. Serve hot.